Kalyakoorl, Ngalak Warangka (Forever, we Sing) is a workshop (and optional performance) designed to take Noongar language songs to as many people as possible across Noongar country. Book a workshop for your school.
Award winning singing-songwriting duo Gina Williams and Guy Ghouse offer workshops to schools and communities on Noongar boodjar (Noongar country) which extends from Albany in the south, to Jurien Bay in the north and out to Merredin in the east. It also extends to Dalwallinu in the north-east and Ravensthorpe in the south-east.
Hour long workshops follow this simple format:
1. School welcome/introduction
2. Gina greets the group by speaking Noongar, then translates her introduction
3. Brief discussion around the language and why it’s important to learn some words
4. Gina and Guy sing Wanjoo
5. Kids learn to sing Wanjoo
6. Gina and Guy perform another language song (usually Bindi Bindi – The Butterfly)
7. Questions from the kids – some brief discussion
8. Kids sing Wanjoo
9. Gina and Guy perform another language songs (usually Koorlbardi wer Wardong – Magpie and Crow)
10. Kids sing Wanjoo
11. More questions
12. Discussion around English being a “much bigger” language than Noongar – some English words which aren’t included in Noongar language
13. Gina and Guy sing Boorda
14. Photo taken at the school with the students.
For more information about an optional performance and costing download the workshop brochure. You can contact Guy Ghouse on 0417 776 033.